Sunday, December 29, 2013

Random Recommended Reading! All Star Western: Guns and Gotham

Random Recommended Reading! All Star Western: Guns and Gotham

The fourth RRR for you guys!



DC comics, bad ass western themed hero, let me just ask you one thing. Do you feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk? I sure did when I bought this series. Man oh man, when the New 52 launched and ignored this title. It never struck me as something I'd like. But something came over me and I bought the first trade. I couldn't be any happier.

The Plot

The first trade covers two stories that Hex and Dr. Arkham go through. One is about a cereal killer loose in Gotham, the duo connects the killer to an organization known as  the "Crime Bible Followers". The second part sends Hex to the sewers of Gotham to look for a missing boy, and what they find is far from what they're looking for.

The western noir tone it has makes this book different from the capes. It's a nice change of pace! 

The Art

Man this art, it's gorgeous. Straight up gorgeous, the covers, the colors, it's all eye candy and it looks great.

from giant bat fights to people screaming, it's just a beautiful book!



The detail in gun fire, movement, etc. It all looks wonderful. Only thing that isn't the best...is Hex's iconic facial scar. While I understand it'd be hard to consistently draw, but in my opinion it changes from hideous to mildly ugly.

Dialouge

This is something I don't talk about enough in my RRRs, I should start. This book has a problem with it's "I" being changed to "Ah" and such. While I get that it's a Western book and people sounded like that. It just makes me stumble over it while reading.

It wouldn't be too bad if it was just random people. But Hex talks like that and many other important roles.

Action

There isn't heat vision, or batarangs in this book. But revolvers and Tomahawk will work just fine. The action feels like an old western spaghetti.
 
The blams and the gore is just the icing on the cake with this book. It's got story, action, wonderful art, even comedy( Dr. Arkham)!

Over all All  Star Western is an amazing series! I hope this book doesn't get overlooked by others like I overlooked it. So please. Do me a favor and yourself a favor and pick this series up ASAP!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment